Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Thoughts on New Testament Study


President Harold B. Lee told how he prepared when he was asked to give an Easter radio address a few days after becoming a member of the Twelve. He said:

"During the days which followed, I locked myself in one of the rooms over in the Church Office building, and there I read the story of the life of the Savior. As I read the events of his life, and particularly the events leading up to and of the crucifixion, and then of the resurrection, I discovered that something was happening to me.



"I was not just reading a story; it seemed actually as though I was living the events; and I was reading them with a reality the like of which I had never before experienced. And when, on the Sunday night following, after I had delivered my brief talk and then declared, simply, 'As one of the humblest among you, I, too, know that these things are true, that Jesus died and was resurrected for the sins of the world,' I was speaking from a full heart, because I had come to know that week, with a certainty which I never before had known." (CR, Apr 1952)

What must we do to have an experience like Elder Lee?

  • Prepare ourselves spiritually.
  • Take the time and find the environment in which we can lose ourselves in scripture study.
  • We need periods of peaceful meditation.
  • We cannot always do this on a daily basis, but we need to find a quiet time and place where we can read, study, and ponder for a few minutes.
Joseph Smith once said: "The things of God are of deep import; and... careful and ponderous and solemn thoughts can only find them." (TPJS, p. 137)

Please make a commitment to find quiet time to study and ponder the remarkable life of the Master. Prayer is part of studying and pondering. I promise you, if you do those things, you will receive a similar experience like Elder Lee.

By Bill


Request a free copy of
the Book of Mormon



No comments:

Post a Comment