Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Catholic Utterance

In a pamphlet entitled "The Strength of the Mormon Position," the late Elder Orson F. Whitney, of the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, related the following incident under the heading "A Catholic Utterance":

Many years ago a learned man, a member of the Roman Catholic Church, came to Utah and spoke from the stand of Salt Lake Tabernacle. I became well-acquainted with him, and we conversed freely and frankly. A great scholar, with perhaps a dozen languages at his tongue's end, he seemed to know all about theology, law, literature, science and philosophy. One day he said to me:

"You Mormons are all ignoramuses. You don't even know the strength of your own position. It is so strong that there is only one other tenable in the whole Christian world, and that is the position of the Catholic Church. The issue is between Catholicism and Mormonism. If we are right, you are wrong; if you are right, we are wrong; and that's all there is to it. The Protestants haven't a leg to stand on. For, if we are wrong, they are wrong with us, since they were a part of us and went out from us; while if we are right, they are apostates whom we cut off long ago. If we have the apostolic succession from St. Peter, as we calim, there is no need of Joseph Smith and Mormonism; but if we have not that succession, then such a man as Joseph Smith was necessary, and Mormonism's attitude is the only consistent one. It is either the perpetuation of the gospel from ancient times, or the restoration of the gospel in latter days."

(LeGrand Richards, A Marvelous Work And A Wonder, The Church In This Dispensation, p. 3)



Request a free copy of the Book of Mormon
Another Testament of Jesus Christ is a record
in God's dealings with the inhabitants of
ancient America

3 comments:

  1. I was raised a Catholic from my mum's Czech / Polish side of my family, and Baptist from my dad's side of the family. I was a 2nd semester Jr in college playing football, and I was drafted to go to Vietnam. I was anticipating to quit school, as I was preparing to go to war.. The war ended, and I was giving a choice by the draft board to either go or stay in school. I decided to stay in school, and felt a deep gratitude to God that I didn't have to go to fight. I had already lost friends who were drafted. It was a war of politicians but I felt obligated to serve my country. Six months later I find the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through a friend, Alan Bird. I had been Church searching other religions, but when I applied the promise in Moroni 10:3-5,: and found out for myself to Church was true. One of the things I had read was the Catholic Utterance, and it made so much sense. It helped confirm the inspiration that I received with Moroni's Promise. And in less than 23 months, I was on my Mission in England. The last month of my mission I was able to go to Poland and Czechoslovakia and spend time with family members. It's the best decision I ever made and I've never looked back. The Holy Ghost and the Catholic Utterance were key parts of my life changing decision. 😇🙏❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm from the Philippines. This is the only major Christian country in Asia. I grow up as Catholic. My dad is half Catholic and Protestant because my grandfather is a Protestant, and my grandmother is Catholics. My mom is full Catholic. In 1986 on my 4th year in high school I have a classmate who acted very different that the rest of the class. To my curiosity, we become close friend and ended up visiting her family. That's where I met two 19 years old missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. When they share their message, I stand on my ground as Catholics. They message assured me that their message is about Christ and will add up more of what I knew of Christ teachings. I thought it wasn't bad if it about Christ since that the point of having Faith in God in the first place. Not realized that not only they added up more knowledge of Christ but also life after death. Never though direct prayer can get answers to questions that lead to the truth and restoration. Everyone here in this life everyone has the chances to find the truth and the Restored Church. When they humble and sincerely ask, the Spirit will manifest. I served my mission. Now my son still in his mission. To share what the missionaries did in my time, who helped me found my way to the Restored Church.

      Delete
  2. Great story! Glad you found Gods restored church that will bless all people!

    ReplyDelete